If you call yourself a writer in any form or fashion; whether blogger, creative writer, web content producer, or secret journal keeper, you need this book. On Writing Well by William Zinsser is truly a must-have book for ANY writer. And I do not say that lightly. I am a huge fan of borrowing from the library, instead of purchasing for myself, but this is a book that I immediately ordered. After checking it out from the local library.
I have the newest edition as well, and am loving the updates. In On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction, Zinsser takes us through a new look at an ancient art. Writing well is something we owe to ourselves. I’ve just finished rereading the chapter on Usage and found myself laughing aloud more than once.
If you want to take your writing to the next level, increase your awareness of the English language, or simply be encouraged that sometimes writing IS difficult and it’s ok to feel that way, you will want to read On Writing Well. If you want to call yourself a “real writer”, you will want to add it to your bookshelf. 🙂
What I like about On Writing Well
- I like – being able to take notes in it, and highlight important sections, because it is MINE.
- I like – that it is so reasonably priced. ($10!)
- I like – how entertaining On Writing Well is to read.
Warnings About On Writing Well
- Warning – he uses political figures to illustrate his points with uncommon frequency.
- Warning – you may find yourself reading through old blog posts with an overly critical eye.
- Warning – you may have to buy the new edition, if a new one is released in the future, just to make sure you have the most relevant information. 🙂