This is the teaching outline and merged notes from the Blissdom Wisdom Workshop on SEO and Stats that was taught by Kelby Carr (@typeamom) and myself, Angela England (@AngEngland). Thanks to @econemicliving who shared her copy of the notes – the basic teaching outline was created ahead of time, but the Q & A’s came from the audience and helped guide the session outcome!
Kelby -Understanding SEO for Bloggers
SEO does not have to mean geeky/soulless. You do not have to choose between writing for humans and computers.
Reasons SEO is important to bloggers
Look at SEO as a different style of writing, just like newspapers, books, TV, radio, etc. are all media with their own styles. Cover basic standards for web/SEO writing: clear, concise, on point, etc.
Ask Yourself: “What Would I Search?”
Go to Google and do a search before you start writing – what comes up is probably what your title should be. (What is this about?)
-Slight tweaking of a phrase can make a big difference
Researching and choosing your keyword phrase (with demo of doing keyword research)
-Ex: mommy blogger, mom blogger: MOM BLOG, top 10 mom blog
(Google – keyword tool –click on global monthly search volume (keep use synonyms checked) – be sure people are searching it.
(Angela’s Note – one of the best features of my ebook is the step-by-step visual guidance on how to do this. If you are “stuck” on this portion of keyword research, or still having trouble applying it to your specific situation, that may be a resource for you to consider.)
Angela – Implementing Human-Friendly SEO on Your Blog
Understand the ABC’s of Web Writing
- A – Active Title “No Cutsey” – Start with a good, clear title (should ALSO be title tag next to Mozilla/IE symbol)
- B – Bolded Subheading – Use Heading (Angela uses H3) setting vs just bolding
-Subheading for clarity, helps catch the eye
-work some of the words in your title into your subheading
- C – Cut Away Rambling Fluff (narrow focus)
Things that help with SEO also help with human readers -(Sub heads – bullets – scan )
Don’t be Afraid to Tailor SEO to Site and Situation – (demo of posting book review to three diff sites)
SEO in Action – Formatting the Post
Tag your photos too – people search for photos- google image search – use hypens between your words – alternative text to increase SEO. Do intro paragraphs for videos and then embed it
From Kelby -Categories = chapters and Tags = index
Takeaway Handout – post from my blog/ebook w/article template for web writing
HUB PAGE – a post to send people to other posts – put your links in a keyword sentence
(Angela’s Note – By popular request, here are some sample hubpages. This is the round-up post for the Ten Habits of Successful Blogging Series on my site. This shows Popular Children’s Books for Preschoolers and here’s one Kelby did about Traveling in the Summer. )
How Can You Improve SEO Now?
- At the end of post – call to action (what do you think, post a comment, read this) Link to other people
- Weave your keywords/title throughout your post – words in title should be in first paragraph
- Google pagerank, firefox browser extensions, seaquake, pagerank
- Optimize your past posts – will re-index your SEO’s, including your page titles – rework old content
- When you repeat posts (Freebie Friday) put more interesting title at beginning (CVS freebie – Freebie Friday)
A Word About Stats and Analytics
- Install Google Analytics – look at referral from google (if under 50%, there’s a problem)
- Get Clicky – to see what people are clicking on when they leave your site
- Take advantage of seasonal content
- Social Bookmarking (wikipedia and digg = no follow links)
- Curtsey, mom share, propeller, facebook fan page, stumbleupon.com, Hubpages website are follows (This sample from Hubpages includes another example of a round-up page designed to get On-Topic links back to other posts and articles).
-set preferred domain
-Claim a sitemap (please use rss feed as a sitemap) – not ideal, but a place to start
Angela says: Content attracts, relationships keep
Search WP extension: “redirect” if you’re going to start changing page names
Create HUB PAGE with lots of resources – with links – and put in side bar
People love Top 10 Lists
(Angela’s Notes – I couldn’t take exact transcriptions on this session because my mouth was open the whole time so I hope you’ll all forgive the rather abrupt and “bullet pointed” type of notes. The information is, of course, still helpful I hope. 🙂 Kelby and I bounced off eachother so much through the session it was hard to note who said what sometimes. For Mommy Bloggers SEO Advice, please check out Kelby’s upcoming book which will have more specifics on SEO tips that WON’T make you sound like a robot!)